Topo Maps :: Upgrading to version 1.5
Two problems have been identified when upgrading to Topo Maps version 1.5.
App fails to start when hundreds of maps are installed
If you currently have Topo Maps version 1.4 and have installed hundreds of maps, you
may find that version 1.5 fails to start. You would see a gray screen for about 20
seconds, and then be returned to the home screen. You may see this effect every time you
try to start the app, or only sometimes.
It is unclear how many maps will trigger the problem, but one user reports that with
just over 200 maps he sometimes sees the problem. If you have a newer device with a
faster processor, you can probably install more.
Your options are:
- Don't upgrade to version 1.5, and wait for version 1.6 which will fix this
- Delete some maps before upgrading.
- Re-install the app (which will lose your maps).
- If you have already upgraded and are seeing this problem and don't want to
re-install the app, please contact us for further advice.
App fails to start if version 1.0 was originally installed
This problem has the same symptom as the above problem, but only affects
users who originally purchased Topo Maps version 1.0 in March. This issue does not
affect anyone who first used a later version of the app.
Topo Maps version 1.5 is not compatible with maps downloaded with version 1.0. When
version 1.5 starts, it attempts to delete any of these old maps. The problem is that this
process can take longer than anticipated, with the result that iPhone OS decides that the app
has locked up and kills it.
If you first bought Topo Maps version 1.0 in March, your options are as follows:
- If you believe that you have no maps left from that version, perhaps because you have at
some point re-installed the app, then you will have no problems upgrading normally to version
- If you believe that all of your maps were installed using version 1.0, then your best
option is to delete and re-install the app. You will have to re-download your maps.
- If you have a mixture of maps from different versions, then you may prefer to wait for
version 1.6 which will avoid this problem.
- If you have a mixture of maps and don't want to wait for version 1.6, then be aware that
the app may fail to start. However, each time that it attempts to start it will delete some
proportion of the old maps. If you start the app, wait for it to crash, and repeat then it will
eventually start and should then continue to operate correctly.
Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about this.